Paper Prototype Testing Round Two

This week I went back to the paper prototyping stage and perfected it. There were many things that I learned from the first attempt of prototyping that I wished to change.

The first was the actual paper prototype itself. Although the paper prototype is meant to me a wireframe so you can catch mistakes in the early stages, my first prototypes were just too much of a wireframe.

It interfered with the results of my testing because I could not tell if my user was confused because of the functionality of the application or because they could not understand what the wireframes represented.

The other visual problem with my first test was the size of the prototype. I had made the pieces really small, which was a problem because the user was not accurately test the flow and placement of the application.

I also changed the style of my testing so that I could get an understanding of what the user expects on each page. I still asked the participant to perform certain tasks, that way, I could guide them in a way to explore the entire application.

After the modifications made to my paper prototype and my testing style, I was able to find out which parts of my application are working and what I may need to look into changing.

I remember back when I conducted my first usability test for this project I watched a video about paper prototype usability testing. The video was extremely helpful at the time, so I went back and watched it again to familiarize myself with how they conducted the test. The video is called, Example Usability Test with a Paper Prototype. I really like how this test was conducted. I strongly recommend watching it for anyone unfamiliar to paper prototype testing. It explains the important parts of how to test while simultaneously demonstrating it.

Another video that was very well done was a video called iPhone app | paper prototyping although this video was more of a demonstration of the application rather than a test, I felt it was a great example of what to visually look for. It had a neat layout and accurate sizing.

Here are just a few more images I found as inspiration in the recreations of my paper prototype:

Paper Prototype

Paper Prototype

Paper Prototype

After completing more research I was inspired to complete next paper prototype test. Overall I am very happy with the results of my test.

You can view my video below:

Test

This week I also did more visual research as I continued to work on my user interfaces for the screens. It is going to follow the flat metro style. The main menu is going to resemble Windows eight block look.

Windows 8

Windows 8

I began researching different possibilities that I may want to use for the screen prototype. One of these is invisionapp, this looks like a nice option that is free to get started. Before making my final decision I will have to compare it to the other options.

Another is proto.io this one also looks like a nice option. It had a lot of possibilities with this app such as animation, interaction and more. This is one that I will diffidently look more into as I get closer to making my screen prototype.

Another great option is Marvel, which says, “Turn sketches, wireframes, PSDs and designs into interactive mobile and web prototypes in just a few clicks.” This sounds very easy to use and will most likely be perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. This is also another free service.

Fluid is another option, however it only allows 10 screens to be used. Although my application is not that large, I would rather choose something with more flexibility. I want to really show the capabilities of my application and I don’t want the limit on screens to ruin that.

The last option that I looked at this week was called justinmind. This looks like it has a lot of options and capabilities. I will definitely consider this as a strong contender. However this may be even more than I want for this particular project.

Next week when I create my screen prototype I will reevaluate all of my options and start my creation.

I made some changes again after my video of my paper prototype test. I made some changes to my prototype so the participant could understand more about how the app is going to work. I also made some changes to my video so it looked more professional.

The new paper prototype test video is below:

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 11.36.02 PM

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s