rAlbum Paper Prototype Test

This week I started my user testing to see how my users react to the flow and layout of my application. I conducted this test with all of the knowledge I learned from the first round of paper prototyping.

For starts I made my wireframes very clear and defined as possible. I knew this was going to be extremely important for this round because my tester was going to be a senior citizen and I wanted everything to be clear and readable for them.

Next I made sure that the prototype was accurate to size. I was carful to create the prototype to be the actual size of the iPad. I even used my family’s iPad to compare the size, so I could ensure I was accurate with that.

I also did a little more research just to see if I could find any more examples of a paper prototype test. The video  I found was very nice. It had a couple of great tips, especially because they also used a tablet for their prototype. One of the things that they did that I really liked was using a piece of cardboard to make the paper tablet a little more weighted and more real. He also suggested using separate pieces of paper for the scenes, which I did in my last paper prototype test. I completely agree with this. Although it makes things a little confusing because there are so many of them, I feel like it makes more sense to the user. He also printed out each of the ui elements that he thought he may need. I also found that this was helpful in my testing. He also used tabs with his elements, which is something I may try in the future.

Overall I found this to be a very informative video. I highly recommend it for those who are paper prototyping for the first time.

I also took a look back at my first paper prototype tests, and critiqued them. I noticed a lot of improvement with my second video from the first one.

When testing I tried to encourage my user to express how she felt about the tasks so I could get a feeling of if I should make changes to my flow or layout.

Some of the things that I asked my user to complete took her a little while, however most of that was because it was the first time she had used the application. When certain tasks were repeated later on in the test, the user remembered exactly what to do to complete the task.

Her feedback was very positive. She felt it was very simple to use and felt she would have no problems using it in the future.

Although she had no negative feedback, I took note of the features she struggled with, for instance the ‘other’ button and have to consider if I want to change the layout of this feature.

Overall the font size seamed to work great. The only one I may want to make larger is the ‘comments’ because I noticed her getting closer to the prototype when reading the, Overall I was very pleased with my test. She was able to figure out all of the features and I was able to understand how she would use the application.

Here is the paper prototype video (click to play):

Paper Prototype

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s