Development

rAlbum Paper Prototype Test

This week I started my user testing to see how my users react to the flow and layout of my application. I conducted this test with all of the knowledge I learned from the first round of paper prototyping.

For starts I made my wireframes very clear and defined as possible. I knew this was going to be extremely important for this round because my tester was going to be a senior citizen and I wanted everything to be clear and readable for them.

Next I made sure that the prototype was accurate to size. I was carful to create the prototype to be the actual size of the iPad. I even used my family’s iPad to compare the size, so I could ensure I was accurate with that.

I also did a little more research just to see if I could find any more examples of a paper prototype test. The video  I found was very nice. It had a couple of great tips, especially because they also used a tablet for their prototype. One of the things that they did that I really liked was using a piece of cardboard to make the paper tablet a little more weighted and more real. He also suggested using separate pieces of paper for the scenes, which I did in my last paper prototype test. I completely agree with this. Although it makes things a little confusing because there are so many of them, I feel like it makes more sense to the user. He also printed out each of the ui elements that he thought he may need. I also found that this was helpful in my testing. He also used tabs with his elements, which is something I may try in the future.

Overall I found this to be a very informative video. I highly recommend it for those who are paper prototyping for the first time.

I also took a look back at my first paper prototype tests, and critiqued them. I noticed a lot of improvement with my second video from the first one.

When testing I tried to encourage my user to express how she felt about the tasks so I could get a feeling of if I should make changes to my flow or layout.

Some of the things that I asked my user to complete took her a little while, however most of that was because it was the first time she had used the application. When certain tasks were repeated later on in the test, the user remembered exactly what to do to complete the task.

Her feedback was very positive. She felt it was very simple to use and felt she would have no problems using it in the future.

Although she had no negative feedback, I took note of the features she struggled with, for instance the ‘other’ button and have to consider if I want to change the layout of this feature.

Overall the font size seamed to work great. The only one I may want to make larger is the ‘comments’ because I noticed her getting closer to the prototype when reading the, Overall I was very pleased with my test. She was able to figure out all of the features and I was able to understand how she would use the application.

Here is the paper prototype video (click to play):

Paper Prototype

Updated Persona and New Information Architecture and Wireframes

This week I first adjusted my personas. Although I was happy with the content of my personas, the layout needed a redesign. I changed the design to fit something that I think will be more similar to the look and feel of my application. I also added some more information, which will be helpful down the road. More information is better because the personas truly appear as a real user of the product.

Here are my updated personas:

Howard Lois

I also created my information architecture, and my wireframes.

Creating my information architecture for this project was much different from the previous time. In some ways it was easier because I had a better idea of what I was supposed to do and how it was supposed to look. However, it was also much trickier.

It was more difficult because this time I had nothing to go off of. Even though my last design was a redesign and I was changing the flow of the application, I still had something to work from. This time however it was completely form scratch. Although I had all of my user research to help guide me in what I found my users would like and would not like, it was still challenging to develop the entire flow of the application.

To do this I opened up a word document and wrote everything out. This was helpful because I was able to think out everything I wanted to allow in my application and the link between each one.

Here is my information architecture:

InfoArch

The wireframes were more of a similar experience to the first design of the mobile application because the first time I gave the application a completely different layout and look. The part that different was the amount of space to work with. In this design I am designing for an iPad and the last design was for the Samsung Galaxy.

This was very interesting because I had to think about how I was going to take advantage of the space. While before I was thinking about how I could save space.

Here is my wireframes:

 

Wireframes

Overall this was a great experience. I am very excited to see this come to life in the next couple of stages.